Establishing Business in germany


Are you thinking about establishing your own business in Germany or investing with your company in Germany?


Germany is the strongest economy in Europe and one of the largest worldwide. We will consult you which requirements you should meet for doing business (e.g. professional qualifications, personal qualities and language skills) and support you in implementing.


1. Who needs a visa?


EU/EFTA nationals

As citizens of the EU with the right to Freedom of movement, you have unrestricted access to the German labour market. You do not need a visa or a Residence permit either to enter or work in Germany. The same applies if you come from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.


Nationals of non-EU/non-EFTA states

Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the USA may enter Germany even without a visa and apply for a Residence permit giving entitlement to work before taking up employment. Only nationals of these countries can apply to their local foreign nationals’ registration authority after having already entered Germany. If you want to take up employment shortly after entering Germany, you are recommended to apply for the right kind of visa before doing so. Nationals of all other third-party states must apply for a visa from their local German mission abroad before travelling to Germany.


2. Self-employed (“Gewerbetreibende”)


If you wish to set up a manual trade or retail business you can get a residence permit
for self-employment (section 21 (1) of the Residence Act) if you satisfy the following requirements:

  • There is commercial interest or regional demand for your
    products or services.
  • Your business activity is likely to have a positive impact on
    the economy.
  • You have secured financing for your business by way of
    capital or a loan commitment.

If you are over 45 years old, a residence permit will only be issued to you if you can also provide proof of adequate provision for old age.

3. Freelancers (“Freiberufler”)


If you want to be self-employed in one of the liberal professions, you can get a residence permit
for freelance work (section 21 (5) of the Residence Act). This residence permit is granted if you can prove that you have the means to fund your project, to support yourself and
a permit to exercise that profession.

If you are over 45 years old, you must also provide proof that you have adequate provision
for old age. If your business idea is successful and you are able to make a living for yourself and your family as a result of your business, you can have your residence permit extended, which is initially limited to a maximum of three years.

If you set up a manual trade or retail business, you can apply for a settlement permit after just three years.

(information source:


4. High qualified Workers - Demanded Professions

In some industries, jobs and regions in Germany, there is a shortage of qualified professionals. More especially, qualified technical workers, such as engineers and IT specialists, as well as health specialists, are in short supply. We consult you what your chances are of finding a job in each of the different professional fields.


5. How we can help - wetando consulting?


a) Market Entry Strategy

We support you in developing an investment strategy for the german market and considering the special needs of your business project.


b) Business Partner Identification and Contact

We identify relevant partners for your business project and put you in contact with suppliers, service providers and potential business partners.


c) Coordination and support of negotiations with local authorities

We will help you deal with the relevant authorities, arrange meetings and make sure the all of your documents are in order.